Personal, Social and Health Education at Humshaugh First School
At Humshaugh First School it is expected that all children will have the opportunity to
- Take some responsibility for their own learning.
- Explore and discuss topical issues.
- Participate in different group sizes and compositions.
- Explore, discuss and share their opinions.
- Find information and advice.
- Work with adults other than teachers.
- Work outside the classroom.
- Take time to reflect.
Our programme of study for PSHCE gives children the opportunity to:-
- Develop confidence and responsibility, making the most of their abilities.
- Prepare to play an active role as citizens.
- Develop a healthy, safer lifestyle.
- Relationships: develop and maintain positive and healthy relationships of all kinds, including friendships; recognising and dealing with unhealthy relationships (including bullying); understanding how to communicate effectively and confidently withing relationships.
Each class follows a rolling programme each half term which enables pupils to revisit, reinforce and build on skills and knowledge throughout the year.
The Overview for 2019-2020 can be found below.
Although we have separate teaching time for PSHCE we are aware that many of the relevant skills and concepts are involved in other curricular and extra-curricular activities such as:
School Council.- developing confidence and responsibility.
Buddies.- Developing good relationships.
Reward systems.-Developing good relationships.
Many aspects covered, including school rules.
Star of the week assemblies.-Developing confidence and responsibility.
Lunch time systems.-Developing good relationships, developing an awareness of healthy lifestyles.
Fund raising activities.-Preparing to play an active role as citizens
Visits by outside agencies such as the school nurse.-Developing a healthy, safer lifestyle.
Circle Time. -Developing confidence, responsibility and good relationships.
Science Curriculum.- Developing healthy, safer lifestyles.
PE curriculum.-Developing healthy, safer lifestyles.
Curriculum focus on healthy eating and lifestyles.-Developing healthy,safer lifestyles.
School clubs – Developing healthy, safer lifestyles.